Monday, July 2, 2018

Grilled wild salmon with garlic, celery, cherries

There's no recipe with this post. I'm not flogging a recipe tonight. I'm simply doing some cheer-leading.

I discovered the fridge was fairly empty tonight and tonight was Canada Day. Oops. All the stores are closed. Even the grocery stores.

I found some frozen, wild salmon in the downstairs fridge, some sweet peppers in the upstairs fridge and decided to get imaginative.

I served the salmon on a bed of basmati rice -- I always have rice on hand -- and spooned a quickly fried mix of chopped cherries (not too sweet), celery, garlic and pistachios on top. It was amazingly good.

The lesson? Seniors can eat well and on a tight budget without serving gruel. Almost all the ingredients came from Costco and were priced well within our budget demands. Watch a few cooking shows, get past your fears and be creative.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment