Saturday, September 16, 2017

I'm still tryng variations on garlic, oil and pasta


If you read the post before this one, Garlic plus pasta can almost carry a meal, you will know I am experimenting with flavour riffs based on garlicky pasta. Tonight it was the usual dinner for two starting with 150g of small penne flavoured with a tablespoon of pan-roasted minced garlic and quarter teaspoon of dried hot red pepper flakes.

To the garlicky pasta base, I added:

  • 1/4 cup pan-roasted pine nuts
  • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped artichoke hearts 
  • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped black olives
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup of pasta water (reserved before draining pasta)

Originally, I was going to use coarsely chopped hazelnuts but Judy convinced me to use the pine nuts in our fridge instead. She wanted to cut into our growing list of leftover ingredients. She was right.

To get an idea how to proceed with this dinner, please read Garlic plus pasta can almost carry a meal. But don't let yourself get bogged down in following the recipe. Be bold. Invent your own riffs on this solid, basic pasta recipe. Tomorrow night I am going to try basil and coarsely chopped field tomato as the additions to the garlicky pasta. I think it will be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment